September 24, 2011

#12

I have been following Seth Godin for about a year now. He is a thinker, writer, publisher
and doles out daily advice in very easy to read and assimilate bite size chunks.

He spoke about writers' block and how he believes its a very easy thing to cure.
Comparing it to talking, and how we never get talkers' block. We just do it, often without much thinking and we don't judge every little thing coming from our mouths - because speech is so ephemeral, we don't stress about it.

The same he says for writing, just do it. If you write badly, you will soon see it's bad and start to clean it
up, learn a new way, find a different style, practise using different phrases, etc.

He says


Just write poorly. Continue to write poorly, in public, until you can write better.
I believe that everyone should write in public. Get a blog. Or use Squidoo or Tumblr or a microblogging site. Use an alias if you like. Turn off comments, certainly--you don't need more criticism, you need more writing.
Do it every day. Every single day. Not a diary, not fiction, but analysis. Clear, crisp, honest writing about what you see in the world. Or want to see. Or teach (in writing). Tell us how to do something.
So it's further encouragement to continue on with this experiment of ours I think.
From me, you will start to see a lot more of my opinion. I will stop relying  on only posting all the beautiful artwork of the people I admire, though it will still be featured because I have to celebrate the wonderful work  I see out there. I will start to show you my areas of expertise and the lessons I have learnt along the way.
Stay tuned, for I know not what it will look like.


1 comment:

dani said...

will check him out now, thanks x